Search This Blog

Saturday, May 28, 2005

robin reads sometimes

Ok, So I now have 5 (count 'em) books waiting for me to read. I generally only get to read for pleasure a few times a year. Kind of ironic for a Librarian, hmm? Between all of the outside professional stuff (writing, etc.), art, exercise, etc., reading has become a real luxury.
Depending on how the reading goes, it will either be several sessions (I'm a begin to end reader, thankfully, I'm fairly fast...)
or more than 1 at time. I generally do this with nonfiction and things which require more thinking. Actually, come to think of it, I do this with art, too. Often when I paint, I do a 'starter' /silly painting, just to get myself going. Hmm, do you think that's a right brain thing or an ADD coping mechanism?

Here goes the score in no particular order:

Q is for Quarry - another Sue Grafton novel, probably likable enough if you've read A-? Heck what is she going to do when she hits Z? Start with AA is aadvark? A1 is for A1 steak sauce? I sometimes read these on vacation and catch up on the "letters" I've missed. To be honest, I can't remember any of them. I might have even read this one already.

What should I do with my life? The true story of people who answered the ultimate question (Po Bronson) This one sounds very intriguing... Maybe there will be a life lesson, or at least some insight. (a NY Times bestseller)

Queen of the Amazons (Judith Tarr) Looks to be full of warrior grrl riot power... decent review from washington post book world. Could be awful though. I have a sort of a low tolerance for the riot grrl in fiction because it usually comes across as sooooo insincere and somewhat pandering....

Will in the World: How Shakespeare became Shakespeare (stephen greenblatt) A national book award finalist... Ok, I am a sucker for books about literary and historical figures (see above).

A salty piece of land (Jimmy Buffet) Complete with CD Ok, this one is most likely not going to win any awards but I liked his first couple of novels. They were very Florida/Keys centric and kind of felt like going on vacation. Thin plot but the characters were kind of cool and setting is everything. Hmm, I do not know if I can take listening to the CD while I read the book though. Definitely a contender for worst read in the bunch..

No comments: