Search This Blog

Saturday, July 2, 2005

Robin reads over the 4th

I thought you might like an update on my reading. I am really trying to find some time to read this summer as fall might be filled up with coursework (or then again, maybe not, if I decide to take the Fall off). My big summer plans (yoga and art classes ALL SUMMER!) fell through (I am doing yoga classes though, but it's not as challenging as I wanted...

Here goes(and remember, I have a very ADD reading style!)

FINISHED

The devil wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
Ok, I must have had some of the worst bosses in the history of the world, as this person didn't seem THAT bad to me. I know, I kept reading it, thinking, she doesn't sound THAT bad... WHAT? Am I crazy?!?! I did love this one though. Very girly, corporate, fashionasta, funny in a demented way.

Alternative Atlanta by Marshall Boswell Basically, the adventures of a stoned guy who sort shuffles through life: his job (writing music reviews for the local music weekly), his relationships (his dad is dying; very confusing love life --well sort of),etc. Story takes place during the Olympics, which is kind of interesting. It was a fun read, except the characters sort of made me cringe at times. Does the main character redeem himself by the end of the book? Do you want me to tell you? ;) If you are from the south or have some friends from college still 'finding themselves' you might enjoy this. This had a very 'real' voice to it. I kept wondering if it was partially autobiographical or at least a composite of real people. I like this one more retrospect...

INPROCESS

Will in the world: how Shakespeare became Shakespeare by Stephen Greenblatt A national book award finalist... Slow to begin with and wordy, but I wouldn't expect it to be much less. The author spends alot of time (at least in the beginning) essentially saying "it could have happened like this!" I have great hopes that it will pick up further along. I'm still trying on this one. If I hadn't read the Devil wears Prada, I might have finished it.

The lady and the unicorn by Tracy Chevalier Sort of a historical fiction of those tapestries depicting young girls with unicorns. Interesting so far. I'll update this post when I finish it later tonight.

In the hand of Dante/Nick Tosches Hmm. I''m on page 105 and I'm still not sure of the plot besides what I read on the back cover. Let's see, brief summary to date: impotent diabetic foul mouthed alcholic writer with issues somehow gets involved with a copy of the Divine Comedy which has been found in a Vatican library....
I picked this up because it seemed like a historical fiction about one of my favorite works of literature. So far, not much to move the story along, but some interesting rant on contemporary publishing and publishing houses, writing, being depressed, etc.


HAVEN'T STARTED(or Re-READ)

What should I do with my life? The true story of people who answered the ultimate question by Po Bronson This one sounds very intriguing... (a NY Times bestseller) Still haven't started this one. I think I'm scared of it. LOL!
A Confederacy of dunces by John Kennedy Toole I saw it on the modern classics at the bookstore and thought it might be time for a re-read.


Welll, there you go. My reading for the last week or so.

As always, suggestions for good mysteries, regional (southern including Florida/beachy enviros), or fascinating fiction/nonfiction of historical figures are always appreciated. I really want to read the davinci code, but being a cheapie, I'm going to have to wait until I can get my hands on it at the library!

No comments: