Search This Blog

Monday, July 7, 2008

Review Library Technology Reports: Drupal in Libraries

As some of you know, I've been working with Drupal (opensource website content management system) for a while. I've built several websites in it, from an arts website to my portfolio.
I've also become part of the Drupal group on campus, just a group of like minded folks interested in Drupal.

At the first meeting I was asked (volunteered?) to demo the admin interface of Drupal and talk a little bit about Drupal. Using my brief Drupal overview which I put together for a few interested folks in the Libraries, I started fleshing out my documentation to encompass a wider audience.

As I was working on my presentation documentation, I was fortunate enough to receive the May/June 2008 issue of Library Technology Reports (ISSN 0024-2586), Drupal in Libraries by Andy Austin and Christopher Harris. Surprisingly enough, we covered a few of the same library sites as drupal examples, but the real value of Drupal in Libraries is that for each example site, there is an interesting interview from the library, which covers questions such as favorite features, challenges, and more of the new Drupal driven website.

Drupal in Libraries also provides a basic overview of terminology, which is easy to follow, even for a newbie to Drupal. Modules featured are discussed in more extensive detail than my list of most useful Drupal modules.

For those of you who are interested in Drupal and how it can be used in libraries, I definitely recommend Drupal in Libraries and of course, in a shameless bit of self promotion, you can read my Drupal writings, too.

No comments: