Search This Blog

Thursday, September 18, 2008

about libraries and using images of patrons

Interesting and well thought response to Carson's Laws for using photos you take at your library (Information Today, Sept/October 08), focusing on libraries using flickr to archive images, especially those of patrons. I'm not sure that I agree with the argument for not using consent forms, but overall, a thought provoking piece.

I think the goals of extending the library and promoting the community trumps that one, but I am not an attorney, nor do I play one TV. I think the context goes way beyond what is immediate “news” to the library and to its community - public, academic, etc. Henry Jenkins notes we are all now creators and participants in media, not just passive viewers/readers. How does the publicity law apply to this permutation?

No comments: