Search This Blog

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Reasons I unfollowed you in twitter -- I don't really care if you are a mayor in 4square


Well, this isn't the post I was going to write, but I wandered over to twitter karma, which made me think a little about who I follow and who I don't in twitter ;-)

I use twitter to share my blog, push status updates to facebook, linkedin, and googlebuzz, as well as connect/network with others. I am not in a contest to see how many twitter followers I can get (I think Brittny Spears is still no. 1, btw)

Of late, my network hasn't been working so well. The core group I follow post interesting things, the rest, not so much. I've been losing followers lately too, which makes me wonder why they followed me to begin with. I have not changed my use of twitter. Topics I cover are web design, usability, libraries, metadata, the semantic web, digital identity, social media, and the occasional personal post. Nothing has changed there. My twitter usage is high some days and low others; it all depends on what is happening in my world and the larger world.

So, I've been thinking...

If I unfollow (or unfan or unfriend) it's not that I like you any less (if I know you in person). If you are a colleague, it doesn't mean that I respect you any less. However, I want to be able to manage both my online presences and my brand/digital identity, so I do try to think about that direction. I am going to do this with facebook. too.

For twitter, I will unfollow/unfriend you if:
*You never post (unless you are my dearest friends or family, which I will keep around just in case)
*You only (or predominantly) post replies back to your friends -- you know what? it's nice to have a dialogue, but if that is all your twitter feed is, I'd rather not be a 3rd wheel to a conversation I know little about.
*You only post follows: #FF or #FollowFridays -- surely you can think of something to post the other 6 days of the week?
*You only post spam (duh)
*You only post minutiae -- if I don't know you personally, then I might not really care about that great Thai lunch you just had. Friends who shoe shop -- you're exempt on this one. ;-)
*You're the Mayor of _______ in foursquare, and you talk about it all of the time... which leads me to...
*Geoposting. I usually do not care where you are. It IS interesting to hear that you are at a conference or event -- I get great ideas that way, but on the corner of 5th and main at starbucks? Didn't need to know that. Maybe the Library of Congress who is archiving tweets will care, but I don't. ;-)
*You follow/friend me, but I don't know you and your account is private with no info.

For twitter, I may (probably) follow you if:
*Your posts are interesting. A nice mix of information sharing and personal stuff.
*I know you somehow IRL.

I think that's about it. :-)
Your thoughts?

No comments: