Search This Blog

Saturday, October 22, 2011

On friending & following - why I don't follow you


I posted this some time back, but I think it's something to review every year. I'd love to connect with you on @: twitter, my blog, or linkedIn (please add a note to your request). You can also connect with me at my facebook page.

If I unfollow (or unfan or unfriend or do not accept your request) it's not that I like you any less (if I know you in person). If you are a colleague, it doesn't mean that I respect you any less. If you are a fellow artist/graphics/web, it doesn't mean that I dislike your work.I have good reasons as to why I follow (or don't) and friend (or don't).  


Reasons that I will unfriend/unfollow/deny your request:


  • Already connect with you online (or in real life):If I already connect with you in one space (facebook, twitter, IRL, etc.) I will stick with whichever space is better. No need to duplicate effort and content.
  • Infrequent posts: If you go 2 months without posting, I will unfriend/unfollow you. If you have just a few tweets, I may wait to follow you back.
  • Irrelevant posts:
    • You only (or predominantly) post replies back to your friends -- you know what? it's nice to have a dialogue, but if that is all your twitter feed is, I'd rather not be a 3rd wheel to a conversation I know little about.
    • You broadcast only - never responding to my mentions, comments or questions. (News agencies/sites are exceptions).
    • You only post follows: #FF or #FollowFridays -- surely you can think of something to post the other 6 days of the week?
    • *You only post spam (duh) / spam me.
    • You only post minutiae -- if I don't know you personally, then I might not really care about that great Thai lunch you just had. Friends who shoe shop -- you're exempt on this one. ;-)
    • You're the Mayor of _______ in foursquare, and you talk about it all of the time... which leads me to...
    • Geoposting. I usually do not care where you are. It IS interesting to hear that you are at a conference or event -- I get great ideas that way, but on the corner of 5th and main at starbucks? Didn't need to know that. Maybe the Library of Congress who is archiving tweets will care, but I don't. ;-)
    • It's all about your family, who I do not know. I'm not a stalker and would prefer not to eavesdrop on your life. 
    • We're not a match. You post on topics that aren't of professional interest to me.


  • Private/Profile information (not sure who you are or why I should follow you)



  • Language barriers - you post in a language I don't read - true there are translators out there, but it seems pointless to use those for social space


  • The Follow/Unfollow game - you follow me just long enough to get me to follow you, then unfollow me.


  • Wrong request: I will suggest an alternate after all, I'm not mean, just trying to manage my life better. Of course, this is my life and I reserve the right to change the rules. ;-)
  • No comments: