Search This Blog

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Facebook privacy updates; Open Graph false advice post are circulating again

 So the Facebook / Open Graph privacy posts are making the rounds again. Facebook does have a pending privacy change  but they are holding off on it due to concerns  (seriously - did you vote? I did) . I've written about this before, but since it's going around again (and probably will every time facebook changes), it's a timely topic. 

REMEMBER YOU CAN ONLY CONTROL YOUR OWN PRIVACY SETTINGS

Easy solution, use friends only (another option create a closed list) 
  • Only me = only you
  • Friends = Only those that you are friends with (not pages or public accounts you follow UNLESS they are in your friend list) 
  • Friends of friends = everyone within the network of EACH of your friends (you can see how this is a potential for trouble, can't you?)
  • Public = the world
Unfortunately, the fake post below (or some variation) keeps going around. It's just not the way facebook works. If you "unsubscribe" from someone's content, you're just not seeing it. They are still broadcasting; you're still broadcasting. If their settings are public, they are still broadcasting to the world (you've just turned the channel).  Apps will override settings sometimes (games, instagram, etc.) so ALL privacy settings need to be checked.
  More information at http://www.snopes.com/computer/facebook/graphapp.asp
A sample of the post:
Hello to all of you who are on my list of contacts of Facebook. I would like to ask a favor of you: You may not know that Facebook has changed its privacy configuration once again. Thanks to the new “Graphic app,” any person on FB anywhere in the world can see our photos, our “likes,” and our “comments”. During the next two weeks, I am going to keep this message posted and I ask you to do the following and comment “DONE.” Those of my friends who do not maintain my information in private will be eliminated from my list of friends, because I want the information I share with you, my friends, to remain among my friends and not be available to the whole world. I want to be able to publish photos of my friends and family without strangers being able to see them, which is what happens now when you choose “like” or “comment”.

SO THE FOLLOWING DOESN'T WORK:
Unfortunately, we cannot change this configuration because FB has made it like this.
1. So, please, place your cursor over my photo that appears in this box (without clicking) and a window will open.
2. Now move the cursor to the word “Friends,” again without clicking and then click on “Settings.”
3. Uncheck “Life Events” and “Comments and Likes.” This way, my activity with my family and friends will no longer be made public.
4. Now, copy and paste this text on your own wall (do not “share” it!). Once I see it published on your page, I will uncheck the same.

No comments: