Search This Blog

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Fixed thinking vs. fluid - creativity, problemsolving, and technology

I found this article fascinating as I am definitely not of a fixed mindset. :-) I have been berated more than once by fixed mindset people and colleagues who question why "I'm not happy" (I am usually but they see my inability to be static as unhappiness or being unsatisfied - I'm neither but I am quest oriented).

I think this ties in directly with creativity. Critical creative thinkers are needed more than ever now, I believe. We are needed to solve our global issues and given our limited resources (heck, even helium is in short supply!) we need to find new ways to do things. Recycle/reuse/repurpose. With the advances in technology, there is more opportunity for intersections between art and science.

I'm really eager to read this book as I could use more insights in dealing with fixed mindsets, especially when I threaten them (I still don't understand how my success is threatening to them, but whatevah).

" A “fixed mindset” assumes that our character, intelligence, and creative ability are static givens which we can’t change in any meaningful way, and success is the affirmation of that inherent intelligence, an assessment of how those givens measure up against an equally fixed standard; striving for success and avoiding failure at all costs become a way of maintaining the sense of being smart or skilled. A “growth mindset,” on the other hand, thrives on challenge and sees failure not as evidence of unintelligence but as a heartening springboard for growth and for stretching our existing abilities. Out of these two mindsets, which we manifest from a very early age, springs a great deal of our behavior, our relationship with success and failure in both professional and personal contexts, and ultimately our capacity for happiness. "




http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2014/01/29/carol-dweck-mindset/

No comments: