Drupal templating is also notoriously tough to work with, although with the new css zen template, it is easier to give it a look which is not straight out of the box. Drupal sites are generally u-g-l-y, but very functional! ;-)
Anyhow, I decided to try something new. I need:
- a blog - one with categories, subcategories, tagging, css templating, rss, upload images + the ability to import a rather large MT export file
- image gallery - preferably one that can import from coppermine or gallery with category support, metadata, rss, crossposting of images (assign images to more than 1 category)
- easy support for 3rd party scripting from flickr, youtube, blogger, other rss, etc.
- a way to generate 5 or 6 mostly static pages
- ability to template and design with css; slightly different templates for various sections
- valid coding would be nice, but I know there are sometimes compromises
I know wordpress can do this. Textpattern seems to be an option too. So, an interesting experiment.