Here is the rundown of what I need:
- RSS Feeds per category/image album
- Ability to list an image in more than one category/album, e.g., black and white photographs all in one album + in subject albums
- Ability to assign keywords
- Easily customizable through CSS and maybe a sprinkling of php
- Opensource, hosted on my domain (I already have a several art/photography sites at social networking spots)
- Easy batch upload process
- Good enhancement and upgrade workflow
- Easy import/migration from Coppermine
- Bridging or crosswalking to Drupal
- Good documentation (I can usually make things work without a lot of help)
- Note the importance of easy!
So, in my various experiments and investigations:
- Plogger, Gallery, and 4images all have some form of a RSS.
- Plogger, Gallery, and 4images are all opensource.
- Plogger, Gallery, and 4images all seem to be relatively easy to install -- relatively.
- I can import/migrate my coppermine gallery into Gallery. I couldn't figure out if I could do that in plogger or 4images. 4images is primarily in German, so I hit some language barriers a few times.
..and here is my comparison chart -- I'm still trying to figure out some of the plogger features, so that part is a little bit incomplete.